The Manhasset Parent Association for Special Education (PASE) is an organization founded in 1990. Our mission is to be a driving force in the development and enhancement of special education programs offered in Manhasset, to act as a resource to enable parents to meet and exchange information about current school based programs as well as new therapies and practices, to identify problems and promote solutions, and to raise funds to support programs and technology that benefit special education students in Manhasset.
We aim to accomplish these goals through our PASE Board, consisting of officers representing each of the four public schools and Manhasset preschool students (CPSE). The PASE Board works in partnership with the Executive Director of Special Education, Personnel and Pupil Services, building administration and the Board of Education to raise awareness of the educational needs of special education students and to encourage community support and understanding.
- PASE held a fundraiser at Bandier on Thursday, January 7, 2016.
- PASE sponsored a six-week afterschool Computer Applications Overview Program for 7th, 8th & 9th graders from Tuesday, February 2nd through March 15, 2016.
- PASE co-sponsored "Light It Up Blue for Autism" in Manhasset Public Schools on Friday, April 1, 2016.
- A second Rubik's Cube Tournament was held on Saturday, April 16, 2016 at Manhasset High School to raise funds for PASE Programs.
- PASE sponsored two four-week afterschool Regents Review sessions for Living Environment and one four-week Regents Review session for Earth Science at the Manhasset Public Library from Tuesday, May 3rd through Thursday, May 26th.
- PASE held a fundraiser at Vineyard Vines on Tuesday, May 3, 2016.
- PASE sponsored two field trips for the students in the Summer Special Education Program (July-August 2016).
- PASE sponsored a six-week afterschool Argument Essay Writing Workshop for 8th, 9th & 10th Grade students from Wednesday, January 14, 2015 through February 25, 2015.
- PASE sponsored the purchase of Scholastic books for Read 180 students in the middle school and high school for Summer skills review in June 2015.
- PASE sponsored four field trips for the students in the Summer Special Eduacation Program (July - August 2015).
- PASE provided funding for the purchase of additional headsets for the Read 180 program on the elementary, middle school and high school level.
- PASE sponsored Regents Review sessions after school for Algebra, Geometry, Earth Science & Living Environment from May through June for eighth, ninth & tenth graders.
- PASE sponsored Finals Review sessions for Math & Social Studies for seventh & eighth graders in June.
- PASE established a $1000 Scholarship awarded to a Manhasset Senior in honor of Jodi Shapiro, the late District Coordinator for Manhasset Elementary Schools.
PASE sponsored the purchase of Scholastic workbooks and materials for Read 180 students in both the elementary and middle schools for Summer skills review.
- PASE sponsored a program event for special needs students at Pump-It-Up on Veteran's Day.
- PASE sponsored a six-week After School Computer Applications Overview Program for seventh and eighth graders from Thursday, February 7th through March 2013.
- PASE hosts College Panel discussion on April 22, 2013 for parents of students with IEPs, 504 or AIS. Adelphi University, Curry College, Landmark College, Mitchell College and New York University participate.
- PASE sponsored a six-week summer Reading program for fourth, fifth and six graders from Monday, July 8th through August 15th.
- PASE sponsored two field trips for the Summer Special Education Program held at Munsey Park.
- PASE speakers included Melissa Slobin, Allison Savocchi & Sue Shea (iPad Presentation), Allison Rushforth (Budget).
- PASE co-sponsored a workshop on self-determination with The Nicholas Center on Tuesday, March 20th.
- PASE sponsored a six-week summer Reading program for fourth, fifth and six graders from Monday, July 2nd through August 9th.
- PASE representatives identified & proposed the implementation of a speech-to-text program, Typewell, for hearing impaired students in Manhasset Middle School and High School in October 2012. Pilot Program initiated in February 2013.
- PASE held a Cooking Demonstration & Luncheon event & raffle on November 30, 2012 to raise funds for our MS Computer Applications Overview Program.
- PASE speakers included Ray Scacalossi & Dr. Charles Leone (New District Math Curriculum), NY State Senator Jack Martins, Stewart Grabelsky (Middle School Special Education Programs).
- PASE sponsored the third Friendship Club for 2nd graders at Munsey Park and the second at Shelter Rock. The two nine week programs for social skills development were led by Dr. Kim Shamoun and ran from Monday, February 7th through April 11th.
- PASE donated $500 to Manhasset School District for the Best Buddies Club in March 16th.
- PASE donated two Wii Consoles and multiple games to the Manhasset School District run program, CAPP, held at Munsey Park and Shelter Rock, at the Board of Education meeting on April 14th.
- PASE sponsored a four-week summer Reading program for fourth, fifth and six graders from Monday, July 18th through August 10th.
- PASE speakers included Patrick Reilly, Laura Coleman, Sally Doulton, Claire Maina, (Reading),
- PASE sponsored the second Friendship Club for 2nd graders at Munsey Park and extended the program to Shelter Rock. The two nine week programs for social skills development are led by Dr. Dana Reinecke from Room to Grow at Munsey Park and Dr. Kim Shamoun at Shelter Rock. They ran from Monday, February 1st through April 19th, 2010.
- PASE held a fundraiser at Wendy's in Greenvale on Friday, February 5, 2010.
- PASE worked in conjunction with the SCA to bring Diversity Day to Munsey Park on Wednesday, February 24, 2010. PASE arranged for the speakers to address a variety of disabilities: food allergies (K), Cerebral Palsy (1st), Don't Judge a Person by their Skin (2nd), Autism presentation by the Elija School (3rd & 4th), Hearing Impairment (4th), Living With Disabilities presentation given by Henry Vicardi students (5th) and Rachel's Challenge (6th). The SCA generously provided donations to the participating speakers.
- PASE held a Wine Tasting Event and Raffle on Saturday, March 6, 2010 to raise funds for the PASE Friendship Club.
- PASE officers were instrumental in working with affected parents, building administration and the Director of Special Education to ensure that a Co-Teach program would be offered on the 4th Grade level at Shelter Rock for the 2010-2011 School Year.
- PASE sponsored and arranged for two speakers at this year's Diversity Day at Shelter Rock on April 7, 2010.
- PASE speakers included Dana Reinecke (Anxiety & Obsessive Compulsive Behavior and Allison Rushforth (Budget).
- PASE held a BookFair fundraiser at Barnes & Noble from Thursday, December 9th through Sunday, December 12th and provided gift wrapping on the 9th and 10th to raise funds for the PASE Friendship Club.
- PASE began selling script (gift cards) to raise funds for PASE sponsored programs on December 21st.
- PASE sponsored a faculty lecture at Shelter Rock on January 12, 2009 and Munsey Park on February 2, 2009 on Sensory Strategies for the Classroom led by speaker Mindy Markowitz, OTR/L.
- PASE donated $1,800 to the Manhasset School District on January 30, 2009 for the purchase of an FM system in the 12:1:2 self contained classroom at Munsey Park.
- PASE sponsored our first Camp & Summer Services Fair on February 12, 2009 with various vendors.
- PASE sponsored three speakers from the Elija School for Shelter Rock's Diversity Day on April 29, 2009.
- PASE donated $300 for a special speaker for the Manhasset Middle School Field Trip on May 6, 2009 to Yankee Stadium for classified students.
- PASE sponsored a craft activity at Barnes & Noble on May 9, 2009 as part of a four day PASE fundraiser in conjunction with Clinical Art Therapist, Peggy Leder's Power of Positive Thinking Art Exhibition.
- PASE held a luncheon fundraiser to honor Stella Spanakos eight years of leadership of PASE on June 2, 2009.
- PASE sponsored an eight week Art Program at the High School led by Art Therapist Peggy Leder from October 19th through December 7th.
- PASE held a BookFair fundraiser at Barnes & Noble from October 22 through October 25th.
- PASE sponsored a Friendship Club for 2nd graders at Munsey Park. The eight week pilot program for social skills development led by Dr. Dana Reinecke from Room to Grow ran from Monday, October 29th through December 14, 2009.
- PASE speakers included Dr. Carla Feinstein (Vocabulary Development, Reading Fluency & Comprehension) and Allison Rushforth (Budget).
- PASE officers developed a flow chart with Shelter Rock Principal Robert Geczik and Special Education, Personnel and Pupil Services Executive Director Allison Rushforth to improve communication and facilitate issues resolution for parents in April ‘08.
- PASE sponsored a lecture for faculty and staff at Shelter Rock on Strategies for the Classroom Teacher: Case Studies in Applied Behavior Analysis led Dr. Bobby Newman, Ph.D, B.C.B.A., and Manhasset faculty members, Mary Ann Klein, Ellen Lockman and Rebecca McKee on May 12, 2008.
- PASE donated $5,100 to the Manhasset School District in June, ’08 for the purchase of FM systems in kindergarten classrooms as a result of PASE participation in CIBC World Markets Miracle Day.
- PASE officer Linda Kane designed the new PASE logo in September ’08. Utilizing the apple of knowledge as the representation of education, it was reinterpreted to represent ‘special’ education. The logo conveys caring and a sense of urgency through a contemporary, dynamic design.
- PASE President Stella Spanakos completed her campaign begun in 1995 to establish an “Autistic Child Area” sign in her neighborhood in September ‘08.
- PASE registered as a non profit organization on the website OneCause.com to raise money for special education programs in Manhasset in September ’08.
- PASE members participated in the inaugural Blazing Trails Four Mile Run for Autism in Great Neck as part of Team Manhasset in October ‘08.
- PASE Treasurer and Munsey Park Representative Renee McMahon was honored as Friend of the Year by the Manhasset Public Library for her years of service on October 19, 2008.
- PASE speakers included Dr. Bobby Newman, Ph.D., B.C.B.A. (Autism & ABA Therapy), Mindy Markowitz, OTR/L (Sensory Processing Disorder & later in the year, Handwriting Help), Ruth Geismar & Dee Olsen (Ectodermal Dysplasia), Peggy Leder (Art Therapy), and Mackenzie Schaefer (Vision Therapy).
- PASE established school specific liaison officers, modeled after Manhasset’s SCA, as a contact for all parents, in June ’07.
- PASE honored senior Anthony DeMarinis for his contributions to special education at Manhasset High School through the OutPost Student Store in June ‘07.
- PASE began publishing a monthly newsletter in September ’07. • PASE hosted 1st Annual Elementary Schools Parent Breakfast in October ‘07.
- PASE President Stella Spanakos developed a vocational program for the Manhasset Lifeskills students, to train in skills necessary to do a variety of work at the Science Museum of Long Island at Leeds Pond Preserve, in conjunction with the administration and Museum staff, beginning in 2007 and continuing through 2008. The success of organizing this program was due to the dedication of the Science Museum Planning Team: Barbara Longo, Dr. Bobby Newman, Mary Ann Klein, Mindy Markowitz, Melissa Slobin, Rebecca McKee, Meryl Mittleberg, Lori Scrobe, Lauren King, David Miller.
- PASE President Stella Spanakos was awarded the ELIJA Foundation 2007 Parent Award for contributions to the Long Island Autism Community in October 2007.
- PASE President Stella Spanakos received a New York State Assembly Citation from State Assembly Member Rob Walker in October 2007 for Outstanding Citizenship and personal achievements and contributions to the Long Island Autism Community.
- PASE speakers included Allison Goldstein, district teacher for the deaf and hearing impaired, Laura Fine, District Coordinator, Special Education, and Dr. Michael Elice, a pediatrician specializing in the Defeat Autism Now protocol and biomedical interventions for children with learning disabilities.
- PASE CPSE to CSE Transition Committee established to assist the district in making the transition process more parent friendly and easy to navigate.
- PASE meetings included speakers from the organization Parent to Parent, tutoring program Lindamood-Bell, and therapy program, Sirri Sensory Integration and Learning Center.
- PASE led an initiative to have the school district provide Teaching Assistants to enable students to attend SCA sponsored events when appropriate.
- PASE representatives participated in the development of the initial, in district, Summer-based Special Education Program with the interim Director of Special Education, held in July ’05. Note: This program has evolved into an even more comprehensive program, with both ½ day and full day components, under the leadership of the current Executive Director of Special Education, Personnel and Pupil Services, Allison Rushforth.
- PASE representatives gathered data and research on the Co-Teach/collaborative method as an effective elementary school program and presented the information to the administration. Note: An initial collaborative program was established in September’08 for kindergarten at both elementary schools.
- PASE representatives worked with Leonard’s of Great Neck to establish the inclusion of Manhasset students from the Self Contained classes at Shelter Rock under the age of ten for the Annual Leonard’s Loves Children Holiday Party in December ’04. Manhasset student participation expanded to include the Munsey Park Self Contained classes as well in December ’06.
- PASE President Stella Spanakos participated in the development of Adaptive Physical Education and Lifeskills Programs at the Secondary School with Interim Director of Special Education, Andrew Doro.
- PASE representatives worked with the Secondary School Lifeskills team, administration, and Outpost founder Anthony DeMarinis, to develop a peer mentoring opportunity for Lifeskills students to work at the student store and be part of The Outpost.
- PASE representatives worked in conjunction with Interim Director of Special Education Andrew Doro to propose a change in Board of Education policy to accept out of district students that qualify for a Special Education Program in Manhasset Public Schools for tuition. This PASE sponsored initiative was introduced to help lower operating costs of special education programs in the district and to help neighboring districts find appropriate placements.
- PASE representatives participated in the development of a Middle School Self Contained classroom and transition program for students from Munsey Park, with Interim Director of Special Education, Andrew Doro.
- In the absence of a Director of Special Education, PASE President Stella Spanakos collaborated directly with Munsey Park Principal, Dr. Jean Kendall to establish an Adaptive Physical Education Program (APE) at Munsey Park Elementary School.
- PASE conducted a district wide Special Education Parent Survey, collated results and presented findings to the Manhasset Board of Education, which lead to improvements in the quality and delivery of supports and services.
- PASE worked with Director of Special Education, Barbara Barry and Munsey Park Principal Dr. Jean Kendall to establish a self contained classroom using an ABA program with support and training for Teaching Assistants in the classroom.
- PASE successfully nominated Manhasset teacher Ellen Lockman to be the first recipient of the ELIJA Foundation BCBA Scholarship.
- PASE participated in the establishment of a district Inclusion Model, with Special Education services using push in, pull out, and collaborative models with the Director of Special Education at the time, Patricia Schanzer.
- Manhasset PASE officially incorporated as a non-profit organization. However, PASE evolved from another prior group that was formed in 1980, the Parent Advocates for Special Education.
P.O. Box 219
Manhasset, NY 11030
It's simple! Just download this membership form and mail to PASE along with your check.
And, thank you!